The School Band was started in 1957 under the direction of Mr. Joseph “Pop” Lee. He was followed by Mr. Earl Timms, Mr. J. Rowan and finally by Mr. William “Bill” Miller.
With an appreciation of culture and a willingness to share it with others, our students made a difference in musical Ensembles.
For three (3) of our Alums the School Band proved to be a stepping stone for their future endeavors.
Dr. Willie A. Naylor (1959)
Holds two (2) Doctorates; Administration Management and Music Education from the University of Sarasota, Fla. He served as Band Director at many High Schools in Chicago, Ill., most notably Dunbar Vocational High School. He also served as an adjunct faculty member with the American Conservatory of Music where he specialized in the instruction of Brass Instruments. He studied and played with such musical greats as Stan Keaton, Donald Byrd and Bunky Green. Prior to retirement he served as a consultant for the School District of Philadelphia, Pa.
JOHN ERNEST NEWSON (1965)
Mr. Newson attended Southern University, Baton Rouge, La. He earned is Master of Music Education from Northeast Louisiana University. His legacy was established at Howard University where he began in 1986 in the department of Music. He became Director of all Bands in 1992. He retired from that position in 2018-19.
DR. ROOSEVELT NEWSON (1964)
Dr. Newson earned his Doctorate in Music Performance from the Peabody Conservatory of Music and has studied at the Julliard School of Music. He is a renowned Concert Pianist and has been featured with the Charlotte Symphony, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, the Cleveland Philharmonic and the Pennsylvania Philharmonic. He has performed around the world to include the Hague, Salzburg and in London. He is an Endowed Professor at Elizabeth City State University.